As the North American Soccer League awaits a court ruling that will determine its future, two teams appear set to depart the embattled league.
North Carolina FC is reportedly planning to jump to the rival United Soccer League and the San Francisco Deltas are ceasing play in 2018, among the highlights of the testimony in Tuesday’s hearing in U.S. District Court in Brooklyn, N.Y.
The league is seeking a preliminary injunction that would reverse the U.S. Soccer Federation’s Sept. 1 decision to strip the NASL of its Division II status. Without that injunction, the NASL has said it sees “no pathway” forward.
Such a scenario could force the Jacksonville Armada to find a new league.
Judge Margo K. Brodie plans to issue a written ruling in the case later this week.
Without North Carolina and San Francisco, six NASL clubs appear in line to return for 2018 should the court grant the preliminary injunction. In court filings last week, the NASL said it has six prospective expansion clubs that intend to join next season.