Contact Us

Putnam County man bitten by rattlesnake, saved by 52 vials of antivenin

Posted: May 30, 2014 - 11:35am  |  Updated: May 31, 2014 - 10:07am
Back   Photo: 1 of 3  Next
Clay Petruski, 50, rests at UF Health Gainesville after a eastern diamond back rattlesnake bit him May 16. He recovered from the snake bite and was released from the hospital Tuesday.  Courtesy of the Petruski family
Courtesy of the Petruski family

BY THE NUMBERS

Venomous snakebites for Duval, Putnam, Clay and St. Johns counties as reported to Florida/USVI Poison Center Jacksonville:

2013

Duval — 24

Putnam — 11

Clay — 0

St. Johns — 5

Source: Florida/USVI Poison Center Jacksonville

More Law & Disorder News

Clay Petruski felt the venom burn as it worked its way into his blood.

His throat began to swell and his blood pressure dropped.

The 50-year-old man had driven to the store for some cleaning supplies and gasoline for his chain saw. But then he saw the snake — an eastern diamondback rattler he estimated to be about 6 feet long — stretched along a dirt road about a half-mile from his Putnam County home in Florahome.

He doesn’t like to see snakes killed and knows most of his neighbors — including his wife — couldn’t resist speeding up and running over the rattler. Petruski said he stopped and attempted to shoo it into the woods.

“He wasn’t getting off that damn road,” Petruski said. “... Normally they just take off.”

Petruski said he moved closer, picked up a stick and tried to prod it along. That’s when the snake lashed out and bit him on the hand.

A metallic taste invaded his mouth, he said, as the venom was absorbed.

He remembers calling his wife, driving home then going inside to find a belt for a tourniquet. But instead he collapsed on the couch, his wife, Terri Petruski, said.

“Within two minutes my memory was shot,” he said. “... I would have figured I had a little time.”

Terri Petruski said her husband, now slumped over, just looked at her and said the word sick a few times.

By the time Clay Petruski arrived at UF Health Gainesville, he was close to death, his doctor said. Ibrahim Faruqi, who’s treated about 25 to 30 venomous snake bites during his time at the hospital, said it was one of the worst he has seen.

Petruski’s throat had swollen so much he could barely breathe, and the tube that hooked him up to a ventilator wouldn’t slide down his throat. Doctors cut a hole below his Adam’s apple and slid it down his trachea, Faruqi said.

Faruqi said they used 52 vials of antivenin over about two weeks. Petruski was bit May 16, but wasn’t released until Tuesday.

UF Health Gainesville treats about 50 to 75 venomous snake bites a year, Faruqi said. He doesn’t remember losing a patient. He said that’s largely because of the team of doctors who work there.

According to Karen Parker, spokeswoman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, snakes become active as the weather heats up.

“They are coming out of their winter lethargy,” she said.

The eastern diamondback is Florida’s largest and most dangerous snake, according to Fish and Wildlife. It is also one of the most aggressive.

Six venomous snakes are found in Florida — the eastern diamondback, pigmy rattler, canebrake rattler, cottonmouth (commonly called a water moccasin), copperhead and coral snake.

Parker doesn’t recommend approaching any venomous snake. Eastern diamondback snakes can launch themselves up to half their body length, she said.

But if someone does come upon one on a trail or road, stomp around or throw a pinecone or stick at it, she said. They can hear the vibrations through the ground.

Michael Patterson, fire and emergency medical services chief for Putnam County, said there’s lots of streams, lakes and swamps throughout the county where snakes are often found. He said he has noticed snakes have become more active as the weather heats up, but not anything out of the normal.

Petruski said he won’t stop to save a snake again.

“I’ll never do it again,” he said. “Bad scare for my wife.”

He thanked God and the doctors who saved his life.

He said he plans to go back to Gainesville “thanking them myself because I want to show them their work wasn’t in vain.”

Derek Gilliam: (904) 359-4619

Comments (18)

RandomGuy
8938
RandomGuy 05/30/14 - 01:56 pm

Glad he's gonna pull thru...

Glad he's gonna pull thru... he should have avoided the snake!

BigRunt
196
BigRunt 05/30/14 - 02:15 pm
Premium Member

Guess next time he runs over

Guess next time he runs over the snake.

doubledee
433
doubledee 05/30/14 - 02:33 pm

He was "bit" by a

He was "bit" by a rattlesnake? From the looks of the photo it appears he was bitten by a rattlesnake. I guess it is OK if I comment in proper English.

johnctaughtme
12999
johnctaughtme 05/30/14 - 06:32 pm

"doubledee", I saw that as

"doubledee", I saw that as well, but have pretty much given up on such things. The worst part of this sort of thing is that the way things are written nowadays, even by professionals, as well as their use of the spoken word and language, I find, have detracted from my own speech and writing skills. They are not what they were when I was in high school or college.

Some of this though should give us objective cause to pause when we trust the same folks to give us the facts on government, pensions, crime, economics, and host of other important things.

One thing is certain. The lucky to be alive Mr. Petruski knows what "bit" and who got "bitten". God Bless him in his continuing recovery.

Mercury
2056
Mercury 05/30/14 - 04:09 pm

"...because I'm a snake."

"...because I'm a snake."

Newcastle
1410
Newcastle 05/30/14 - 04:42 pm
Premium Member

johnctaughtme, you are one of

johnctaughtme, you are one of the more intelligent posters on this board, so I hope you won't mind if I use your post to make a point. You wrote, "... as well as they use of the spoken word and language..." using "they" instead of "their."

It just goes to show that anyone can make a slip, either a typo or a brain glitch. I know I do. Granted, we expect more from professionals, but having worked in a newsroom, I can assure you that the pace is sometimes very hectic and that leads to errors. I guess that's why news is called "the first draft of history."

You make a good point about whether we can trust them for details. I know that, when I have personal knowledge of a news story, I almost always find one or more errors in reporters' stories.

In a related matter, I get annoyed at the anchors at WOKV often making grammatical errors or tripping over their tongues too much trying to read too fast. But I remind myself of the fast pace their format calls for and I cut them some slack. Still, I find myself switching to public radio for a less frenetic pace and a little more depth.

johnctaughtme
12999
johnctaughtme 05/30/14 - 06:33 pm

"Newcastle", you indeed

"Newcastle", you indeed caught me on that one, a typo which I will edit out immediately. There goes my "A" on this paper, lost in haste.
Thank you. Always good to read you too.

gunny48.5
15715
gunny48.5 05/30/14 - 06:48 pm

UF Health saved the day! Glad

UF Health saved the day! Glad he got there in time. I assume the rattler did not apologize?

jnfsu
1775
jnfsu 05/30/14 - 07:06 pm
Premium Member

I applaud his intention, but

I applaud his intention, but not his execution. Once again, a good deed doesn't go unpunished.

I've always heard a rattler can strike, not 1/2, but 2/3 of its length.

After a 10 or 11 day stay in the hospital, I hope he has health insurance, else he may be cured but bankrupt.

traincompbox
1018
traincompbox 05/30/14 - 09:32 pm

I'm still trying to figure

I'm still trying to figure out what a 'pigmy rattler' is...

1827
avatar 05/30/14 - 10:28 pm
Premium Member

Train: i too wondered about

Train: i too wondered about "pygmy" vs "pigmy". Seems that both are acceptable.

1827
avatar 05/30/14 - 10:29 pm

Dup

Dup

1827
avatar 05/30/14 - 10:31 pm

Dup

Dup

Davethecaveman
14383
Davethecaveman 05/31/14 - 08:25 am

@traincompbox----we see pygmy

@traincompbox----we see pygmy rattlers on the Jax-Baldwin Trail quite frequently. They look just like a rattle snake, diamond shape head, but usually only 6 to 8 inches long. They scurry over the asphalt and sometimes get run over by bikes.

Bugleboy
839
Bugleboy 05/31/14 - 12:32 pm

I hope he has health

I hope he has health insurance. He is looking at a cost of $2,000+ plus for each vial of anti-venom. The hospital bill will approach $200,000 no doubt.

J'ville Native
3890
J'ville Native 05/31/14 - 04:54 pm

@DavetheCaveman - Have ridden

@DavetheCaveman - Have ridden the Jax-Baldwin Trail since it opened and have seen many pygmy rattlers. But it wasn't until last year I saw my first Eastern Diamondback crossing the pavement. Was about 5' long. Our group just rode right on by the tail side of it as it meandered on into the brush off the side. As for Mr. Petruski, hope he recovers fully with no lingering side effects.

Max mutt
8605
Max mutt 05/31/14 - 08:09 pm
Premium Member

Not sure why the family had

Not sure why the family had this hospital picture made public.
Their right but a strange choice.

I want to know how long was the stick?

I know, I know - NOT LONG ENOUGH!

saltmarsh cracker
3812
saltmarsh cracker 06/01/14 - 09:35 am

I wonder if the snake were

I wonder if the snake were asleep and became agitated after being touched by a stick…

Sign up for Jacksonville.com's morning newsletter and get top stories each morning in your inbox.